Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Lolly, Lolly, Lolly, Get Your Popsicles Here

Sorry I haven't blogged in a while, but would you if you were on your first vacation to London.

They don't speak English here. I'm serious they have a lot of different slang here for some of our commonly used words. Also the goulash of accents make it really hard to understand people.

So now I present the....

Incomplete Dictionary of English Slang
  • Elevators = Lifts (this may because an elevator can lift you to higher (or lower) floors in a building.)
  • Popsicle = Lolly (this may be because popsicles are on sticks.)
  • Where's Waldo = Where's Wally (I have no clue why they would change a perfectly good book title.)
  • Baked Potatoes = Jacket Potatoes (because they still have thier skin on them like jackets.O
  • Bacon = Bacon (though it's called bacon you could get American bacon, or British bacon. or plain old ham.)
  • Lays Potato Chips = Walkers potato chips (I don't know why.)
These are just some of the English slang I've heard over the last few days.

On another note they have some crazy potato chip flavors here in England. So far I've tried Smoky Bacon, Onion Bahji, and Roast Chicken along with other more normal flavors. By the time I'm don e maybe I'll have worked up enough courage to try American Cheeseburger or Brazilian Steak.

So long for now on my English adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment